Job Title: Residential Support Worker
Company: John Howard Society of Victoria
Location: Victoria, BC
Job Type: Casual-on call
Salary: $21.00 – $24.00 per hour
Benefits: Dental care, Disability insurance, Employee assistance program, Extended health care, Life insurance, Paid time off, RRSP match
About the Company:
The John Howard Society of Victoria is a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. Our goal is to help individuals achieve greater independence by providing support with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services. Join our team and make a difference in the lives of individuals in our community.
We are seeking a highly motivated and organized Residential Support Worker responsible for monitoring and supporting the residents of the John Howard Society. The Residential Support Worker will ensure the safety and well-being of residents and maintain effective communication with them. This is a casual-on call position that requires flexibility in work hours and is based in Victoria, BC.
• Carry out rounds and bed checks at irregular intervals, a minimum of two times during each shift at Manchester House and Gelling Manor
• Answer phones, greet the public and visitors with discretion
• Access and maintain documentation on SharePoint
• Attend staff meetings as required
• Read all memos of the operation of the House and keep abreast of new developments relating to the Correctional Service of Canada
• Record pertinent resident information on the Case Administration Management System (CAMS)
• Record House maintenance and shift rounds in the Duty Logbook
• Maintain petty cash
• Undertake special assignments as required by the Manager of Residential Programs
• Record pertinent information in the Logbook and on CAMS
• Check resident sign in/out sheets to ensure accuracy
• Follow working alone (SafetyLine) procedures for check-ins
• Ensure the house is not left unattended by staff and must remain awake for the duration of the shift
• Ensure office and House is clean and organized
• Initiate contact with National Duty Parole Officer when required
• Advise the Manager of Residential Programs of concerns regarding House management or residents, including infractions of House rules/curfews or policies
• Monitor curfew regulations and report infractions to appropriate authorities
• Monitor Residents for drug and alcohol violations and record violations for reporting to the Parole Officer and monitor security
• Establish positive communication with and endeavor to maintain rapport with each resident
• Exchange information related to resident concerns and direct the resident to appropriate resources
• Allow resident’s access to prescribed medication
• Develop, implement and maintain a program plan suitable to the proposed client, and encourage the client’s interest and participation
• Liaison with agencies affiliated with John Howard Society
• Experience working with vulnerable populations, including those with mental health, addictions, and developmental disabilities.
• Skills to understand the use of authority in supervision and intervene effectively in crises.
• A bachelor’s degree and/or professional designation, with a minimum of 2 years of applicable or relevant transferable past work experience.
• Knowledge of community resources.
• Ability to understand the dynamics of offenders’ behavior and assess their needs and risks, managing it as part of the case management process.
• Criminal Record Check.
• Vulnerable Persons Check.
• Emergency First Aid.
How to Apply:
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of individuals and meet the qualifications for this role, please apply sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We appreciate all applications, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The John Howard Society of Victoria is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.