We are looking for a dynamic, experienced and self-motivated individual. You are highly organized, an efficient multi-tasker, a go-getter with the ability to support, engage and inspire up to 50 volunteer mentors. Fundraising experience is an asset as sourcing funding for this program is a large component of this role. You are results-oriented and a team player with the aptitude to excel and grow a program that is full of possibilities.
The position is based on 30hrs per week. Monday – Thursday. 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. However, the position demands flexibility as evening work is required on occasion for KidStart family meetings, volunteer support and training.
Function: Coordinates all aspects of the KidStart Mentoring Program including recruiting, selecting, supporting and supervising volunteers. Coordinates the intake, referral and orientation of mentors and mentees. Develops and coordinates fundraising opportunities and recruits potential donors for the KidStart Program.
Reports to: The Director of Programs
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Coordinates fundraising events, sources funding opportunities, prepares grant applications and recruits potential donors.
- Develops and promotes opportunities to become a Volunteer Mentor through a variety of initiatives that are designed to recruit applicants from the community.
- Develops ongoing relationships with organizations that support volunteers and mentors in the community to ensure that recruitment, selection of volunteers and support initiatives are coordinated.
- Conducts all aspects of the Volunteer Mentor process including personal interviews, reference checks, criminal record searches, and orientation. Ensures that all required documentation is accurate and complete. (Expected 50 matches annually)
- Provides support, guidance and practical assistance to Volunteer Mentors on a regular and as needed basis.
- Researches community activities, events and resources that are affordable, available and of interest to youth in the program.
- Facilitates quarterly learning opportunities for Volunteer Mentors by developing resource materials, arranging for guest speakers, designing workshops that address their identified needs, and incorporating emerging best practices.
- Promotes the KidStart program and generates referrals through liaison with a wide range of individuals and organizations in the community including police, probation officers and schools.
- Assesses needs of youth referrals and pairs with Volunteer Mentors based on the needs of the youth.
- Prepares both the youth participant and the volunteer for their first meeting.
- Supervises all Volunteer Mentors to ensure that they are successfully developing a positive relationship with the youth they are paired with and meeting the expectations of the program.
- Coordinates reward/recognition events for volunteers.
- Establishes a quarterly KidStart newsletter suitable for mentors and community members.
- Ensures that all records, reports, files and documentation pertaining to service delivery are accurate, complete and in compliance with John Howard Society KidStart policies.
- Performs other related duties as required by the Program Director.
Qualifications/ Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences or related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience working with volunteers will be an asset.
- Experience in marketing, fundraising and community engagement.
- VMPC or CFRE designation is an asset
- Ability to organize, lead and facilitate groups that are designed to provide learning opportunities to a wide variety of participants and volunteers.
- Well-developed interpersonal communication, assessment and conflict management skills.
- Must have knowledge of theory, principles and best practices in the fields of volunteerism.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective relationships with a range of different individuals
- Must have dynamic public speaking, grant writing and marketing skills.
- Available to work outside of normal office hours.
- Valid B.C. Drivers License.
- Use of personal vehicle required.
- Criminal record check required.