The John Howard Society is a growing and innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for everyone. Our goal is to help individuals achieve greater independence by providing support with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Financial Analyst is responsible for maintaining the financial records and overseeing all finance, forecasting, budgeting, and other corporate functions. They will be expected to advise and assist the Executive Director and Management Team in meeting our overall financial and strategic organization objectives. We are looking for a candidate with a variety of exceptional professional skills, with the ability to take initiative, be proactive, apply professional judgement, work independently, and maintain an impeccable set of financial books and records.
This position will support the execution of a day-to-day accounting operations of the organization as well as financial reporting, including daily, weekly, and monthly reports for management and supporting the month end close process.
This role would suit someone who is well organized, adaptive to change, thrives in a deadline driven environment with competing priorities and is results oriented with an entrepreneurial mindset.
• Full cycle accounting including A/P, A/R, and account reconciliations.
• Prepare all government remittances, including source deductions, GST, WCB, Employer Health Tax and organization filing.
• Prepare monthly bank and CC reconciliation, quarterly financial statements and program budgets and year end reporting.
• Ensure A/R, A/P, Payroll are costing function are running efficiently and accurately.
• Payroll processing and some benefits administration.
• Responsible for the design and maintenance of the financial process environment and key financial internal controls pertaining to budgeting, planning, forecasting and business performance analysis.
• Report monthly to internal and external stakeholders
• Develop solutions that meet departmental and funder requirements.
• Identify areas of improvement throughout the department to strengthen, modify or eliminate process to increase efficiency and strengthen controls, and aid in the implementation.
• Advise the ED and others management team members on financial planning strategies to ensure the organization remains on track to hit our targets and goals.
• Ensure all government funded programs are managed accordingly. This includes applications and requirements are followed as well as funds are distributed appropriately.
• Assist in funding proposals.
• Other duties as required.
• Strong business acumen, relationship building.
• Bachelor’s degree in financial management, business administration, public administration, or a related field.
• 3-5 minimum years of relevant experience.
• Proficiency in MS Office suite including intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
• Proven ability to develop and execute financial strategies, implement process improvement, and drive financial performance.
• Strong strategic thinking skills, with the ability to align financial objectives with overall business goal.
• A combination of education and experience equivalent to a recognized accounting designation and/or experience in financial management and administration in a public sector/nonprofit environment and/or PMP is preferred.
• Salary: $60,000-70,000 based on experience and qualifications.
• Schedule: Monday-Friday, 40 hours week, working in JHS offices.
• Benefits: Competitive benefit package, including health, wellness, vacation and RRSP.
• Criminal Records Check is required.
Please submit a resume and detailed cover letter to Meghans2@btvic.com, indicating why this job posting caught your attention and how your skills and experience are a fit for the key functions in this position:
Please DO NOT drop off applications in person at the JHS office or send your application directly to the Society office. Only digital applications will be considered.